Here are some ways you can be more involved with the NSIS
- Public Science Lectures: Join us every month from October to May to learn about a variety of
science topics and to network with others interested in science. Visit our website for
information on the next monthly talk.
- Excursions: Field trips with a scientific content, led by subject-matter experts and/or member
- Proceedings of the NSIS: This is a refereed scientific journal. Members receive issues free in
print and online upon publication. Members also receive discounts on page charges for
- Monthly Council Meetings: Members are welcome to attend the monthly council meetings to
hear about what we do (RSVP to the secretary is required).
- Student Science Writing Competition: To promote the communication-of-science, we conduct
an annual competition open to any student at a NS university or college. Participants receive a
free 1-year membership in the NSIS, and winners receive cash awards.
- NSIS Hall of Fame: A compendium of distinguished scientists with tangible connections to Nova
Scotia, across a wide range of disciplines, from the mid-1800s to the present day. Nominations
are reviewed by Council on an ad-hoc basis.
- NSIS Council: Members can serve on the NSIS council which includes a number of active and
retired scientists, student and post-doctoral members as well as observers from the Discovery
Centre, NS Teachers Union and Museum of Natural History.
- Annual General Meeting: The NSIS has an annual AGM in May that is open to all members.
Each meeting is followed by a Public Lecture.
- School Science Fairs: NSIS provides financial support to regional and/or provincial science fairs.
Several members serve as project judges.
- Trade Shows and Conferences: The NSIS participates in several tradeshows and conferences
and often provides financial support to these events.
- Networking with other Science organizations: We network with other local science-related
organizations on a formal and informal basis.
- Website: The NSIS website includes details of our monthly public lectures, and lists our Hall of
Fame recipients. You can renew your membership using PayPal here and meet council
- Facebook: Please visit our Facebook page where we post about NS Science. All public lectures
are advertised on our page as well as other interesting science topics.
- Twitter: Follow us on Twitter @NSIS_Sci_NS